News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Pedal to the Park - urban cycling at its best

Started by dgblanco, March 30, 2015, 07:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Sunday May 17, 2015 is the 10th annual Pedal to the Park, with NCCC legacy and connections.  Change things up one time ;D  You can ride with the Blind Stokers Club, on a 25 mile leisurely waterfront route.  Or, create your own route and join the fun in the PTP section at Petco Park.  Discount game tickets are only $15, and you might even see some home runs this spring!  You can get the details and register at https://pedal2park.webconnex.com/P2PS10  or contact Dave White at director@blindstokersclub.org

karlos

Y'all know I like to do something different every now and then. The NCCC Sunday ride was in full presence and regalia at the first CicloSDias, San Diego's only open streets (no cars) event a couple of years ago. I also helped Dave conceive and run the very first Pedal to the Park, 10 stages ago. I will be riding in this event this year, probably the 25 mile route as a captain with a sight-impaired stoker. I would welcome anyone to join me. Plus, I usually only get a chance to go to Petco Park for a ball game once or twice a season - so you can check that off your bucket list. Of course, there will be a "normal" Sunday Long ride planned for the same day as I know I'm in the minority, but as a participant in several PTP's, I guarantee that it's a great chance for something different and fun. If you bring a fancy, expensive bike, you'll enjoy the security with the special free bike valet parking.
Karl

karlos

I will be letting someone else lead the Sunday ride on May 17 and starting at Balboa Park at 9am, north end of zoo parking lot. I'll be riding with the Blind Stokers, but on my regular bike. An unannounced treat is that Dave Ellsbery, RAAM rider and strong man on the Bonsall Wednesday rides, has the Velodrome to himself for 24 hrs starting that morning, in an assault on the 24 hr record of 556 miles (23.17 mph!) by Christopher Strasser, current RAAM winner and record holder. I guess Dave figures it's extra "training" for this year's RAAM. Come cheer him on!

karlos

NOTE: Dave Ellsberry's 24 hr record attempt has been postponed.

For those who want to join me and get a little more mileage than the 25 mile route from the Zoo, I will be leaving my house in Solana Beach at 7am. This is the route - or I should say "the way" to quote Zen master Nerius. 24 miles. I will be at Hwy 101 and Lomas Santa Fe about 7:05 am. Return ride will either be 24 miles or a Coaster option, depending on train schedule and end time for the game.

Karl