News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

April 9 Cuyamaca ride

Started by Robert Abraham, March 21, 2017, 09:28:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Comrades!

My next Sunday ride will be a beautiful beast of route. This will be a full century with some quality climbing. Leaving Santa Ysabel at 7 AM, the route climbs up through Julian and then South on Hwy 79. We will then turn off onto Sunrise Hwy to continue South, climbing Mt Laguna. Descend into Pine Valley to stop and refuel. Then continue West on Old Hwy 80 and back onto Hwy 79. After crossing under I8, enjoy the long high speed run into Japatul Valley, before the climb up to Alpine for a second stop to rest and refuel. Head East out of Alpine on Old Hwy 80 and then I8 back to Hwy 79. Hwy 79 will take riders all the way to Julian, and then back to Santa Ysabel. Although I have only to break stops planned, there are a few others spots on the route where riders can regroup and get water if needed. This is one ride you do not want to miss.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19675587

-Robert

Rob,

I'm thinking about it...

Ken

Do not let this route intimidate you. For those that want to come out and ride, but do not want to do the entire route, there are several places to bail out and head back to Santa Ysabel. One example is to stop at the Lodge on Laguna, then turn around to descend N on Sunrise and etc. This would make for a nice 60~ mile ride.

Also, I suspect that the elevation gain data is inaccurate.