News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Local Cycling Accident Statistics

Started by Nigel Rodgers, January 02, 2018, 10:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Does anyone where or  if you can access  local cycling accident statistics.

karlos

For all the reports that are recorded at the state level and used as the basis for the statistics we show in our Smart Cycling classes, refer to the CA state database at http://iswitrs.chp.ca.gov. This is ALL the data for the whole state that includes reported collisions between motor vehicles, bicyclists and pedestrians, in any combination. It's a lot of work to sift through the database and then possibly access local police reports for more details on each accident. The best local info for North County San Diego comes from Pete Penseyres and Howard LaGrange manually analyzing over 200 Oceanside police reports involving cyclist and motorist collisions over a 5 yr recent period. For those of you who have taken the Smart Cycling course, you have seen the data summary. I'm attaching an image of the main relevant slide from the Smart Cycling class.
Karl

karlos

I should add that of ALL bicycling accidents only about 18% involve motor vehicles. That is a pretty well established statistic nationwide. In fact of ALL accidents, about 50% are from SOLO FALL - no other cyclists, motorists, pedestrians involved. And those are the REPORTED accidents that show up in either police or hospital records. So, remember, you are your own worst enemy, especially if you never work on bike control skills. Nevertheless, those 18% that are broken out into categories in the pie chart above are the scariest because a collision with 2 tons of metal carries a huge price tag compared to the "I fall down and go boo-boo" variety, which if you added those in that are never reported, far exceed 50%.

Thanks Karl
Yea I looked around yesterday before posting and this is what I came up with.http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/data/factsheet_crash.cfm 
Which is exactly the way Pete and Howard are compiling statistics. You would think local government agencies would collect the statistics and use them for awareness campaigns instead of concerned cyclists .