News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Unsafe at all speeds, dangerous bikes on our rides.

Started by Paul Nevins, January 08, 2018, 11:10:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
We had a blow out going up N. Twin Oaks Valley Rd. Saturday fortunately it was the last rider in line and it was uphill before the 40+MPH downhill section. We then had another flat at the top of Champagne Grade. Both were due to badly wornout tires, tires that should have been replaced many miles earlier. One rider commented that it is up to each individual to determine what state of repair his/her bike is in, that maybe all well and good when riding solo but when on a club ride the Club board and ride leaders have a legal liability issue to contend with should there be any damages or injuries. Not only are there liability issues for the Club but there is the matter of consideration for the riders who may be injured when following an unsafe bike that unexpectedly slows or stops due to a preventable mechanical problem.
If tires look like this throw them out! Also repatching tubes is a bad idea.
For a few months now this has been a problem getting some of the riders to put on new tires even though they already had them at home, we need to impress upon our fellow riders that safety is taken seriously by the Club and we do not want unsafe bikes on our rides.

Any tire with the old latex sidewalls should be thrown out too.

karlos

Thanks for the reminder, Paul. It really is inconsiderate to ride with wornout, dangerous-to-the-group tires. Those that have taken Smart Cycling should be doing the ABC Quick Check before every ride and ride leaders should at least go over this with the group on occasion.

I do disagree about patching tubes, though. They don't pose a safety issue, at worst an annoying leak. I limit my patches to a max of 2 per tire. I patch, then inflate by itself until it's HUGE, hang it up overnight and if it hasn't lost air by morning, I package it in a baggy (baby powder first to keep it from sticking  8)) and it's ready to re-use. If it loses air, recycle it (Performance on 78 is the easiest place to do that - they take chains, too). Patching tubes saves money and it's good practice should you run out of spare tubes on the ride. A somewhat lost art...

Hi Everyone - I rode with the group for 2 years and decided to leave the group because they were too many serious accidents. Running red lights, members passing on the right to keep up to beat the lights, leaving behind slower riders and way too much competitive riders trying to prove their athleticism as opposed to their kindness and group spirit. I would love to join a group that motivates us as opposed to endanger us ------I would love to hear some one respond to this. And please don't ask me for specifics on the accidents because I don't want to put that out there.   The Question is :  How can we ride as a club and keep people safe and include all people? Maybe  there should be a separate E-BIke group but I also think the road experienced climbers need to re-think our club. I would love your responses.  I would love to join a club that climbs  2500-3000 feet in 40 miles but doesn't put us in danger. .  Thank you and safe riding, Barbara Britton