News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

NCCC e-bike policy discussion

Started by karlos, March 05, 2018, 09:37:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

NCCC Members - A member recently asked what our E-bike policy is for club rides prior to renewing. Before you say "No way" which is pretty much everyone's initial reaction, consider our NCCC member's personal story:

"I think it is a great idea to address the issue of electrically assisted bikes by the Board.  I rode with the San Marcos Restaurant Row Wednesday AM group a few times in 2017 and enjoyed my brief time with them each time.  That is, except when I could not keep up with the group.  What I regretted most of all during those times, was their need to wait for me to catch up with them on the hills and this undoubtedly and understandably made their own ride less enjoyable than it should have been, much to my embarrassment, chagrin and heartfelt regret.

When you address the issue with the Board, please feel free to let my own life’s experiences known. 

First, please know that I sincerely wish I had not had to ask the question regarding E bikes. Clearly, they are not for everybody.  I definitely can relate to, and understand that there are many questions surrounding them, some perceived ignorance about them, and some people’s negative feelings about them.  Once, not so long ago, I had all of these as well.  However,  not just for me,  but for many others, I think E bikes are here to stay. And this is so for compelling reasons, far removed from being the first rider up the hill.

Two years ago, just after buying a new high end mountain bike, I met someone while camping who offered his unsolicited opinion that I could have gotten an “E-bike” for what I paid.  At that moment in time, I bore umbrage at that untoward suggestion, feeling it to be somewhat of a personal insult.  I did not know much about E bikes nor had I ever cared to.  But time waits for no man (or woman) as they say, and things change and the old adage is true- never say never. Sometimes, change comes fast and slow.  Now,  I am no longer the guy I was in my forties, fifties or even my sixties.  You should know that I have loved cycling since grade school.  I have had a number of road and mountain bikes continuously all through my life, and loved them all.  Most importantly, you should know that my lifestyle is, and has always been, more than a little active or outdoorsy.  While unavoidably I have gotten older, I still strongly believe that my health is my sole responsibility- and I practice what I believe by working very hard to stay healthy by exercising nearly every day (walking, weight training, hiking, biking, and yoga), eating right, and not abusing myself with substances of any kind.   Be assured that, like many others much younger than myself, and some even still older than I, I still do the right things to stay fit and healthy all the time. 

Things can also profoundly change extremely rapidly however in a person’s life.  I inadvertently hurt myself badly working out in order to stay independent and strong,  and last year I had to have a second major spinal surgery, this time a multi level upper cervical fusion which followed an earlier, less successful lumbar laminectomy on my lower back.  Prior to the latest injury, I had also been seriously injured in car accidents, in criminal assaults and also while at work.  Due to age, arthritis and bursitis are also no longer just words to me, and I now count a rheumatologist among my doctors.  Just my life, but I have found, it does add up, and leaves me to consider things I never would have otherwise.  Like E bikes that need to be pedaled normally, but which can add some needed assist to help keep people outdoors and cycling where otherwise it would be given up and lost. 

I think we can all wholeheartedly agree that cycling offers its own rewards, whether alone or with others.  I will do it anyway either within the context of a group ride or alone.  But there is a lot to be said for a nice conversation with like minded folks and a communal coffee and snack at the end of the ride. 

In sum, I think a fair organizational stated policy and a separate group who welcome all types of bikes, including E-bikes, would be a great idea, and could be a great benefit to many people who might not otherwise enjoy it."

karlos

In order to not categorically exclude E-bikes from our rides and after conferring among NCCC Board members, and even outside NCCC with club members of the SD County Bike Coalition, we propose the following:

E-bikes are allowed on NCCC rides under the following restrictions:
1. Must have approval prior to the ride by the ride leader. For convenience, if some ride leaders are always comfortable with E-bikes joining in, then that group can be designated "E-friendly."
2. California Class 1 E-bikes are allowed on all routes. See description of CA Class 1,2,3 E-bikes in the Vehicle Code (CVC 312.5 and CVC 24016). These E-bikes provide power assist ONLY when pedaling, with no extra assist for speeds above 20 mph for Class 1 and 28 mph for Class 3.
3. California Class 3 E-bikes are allowed on NCCC routes provided the route does NOT include separated bike paths like the San Luis Rey Trail, 56 bike path, Coastal Rail Trail, etc. Class 3 E-bikes must also be pedaled and have a maximum assisted speed of 28 mph. Class 3 E-bikes are NOT allowed, by law, on separated bike paths.
4. California Class 2 E-bikes are specifically prohibited on NCCC rides. They can run by hand throttle, without pedaling, contrary to the spirit of the club.
5. No E-bike motor pacing the front of a pace line.
6. The E-cyclist must have completed the League of American Bicyclists Smart Cycling class. The instructors have had E-bikes in these classes and will emphasize not only safe riding with traffic but integrating with other cyclists safely.

We insist that, to integrate with a group ride, the E-cyclist not change the group dynamic by riding too fast or inappropriately accelerating or having poor control of their bike. In that context, we emphasize two things a ride leader always has at their disposal for cyclists on any type of bicycle:
1. The ride leader reserves the right to ask the E-cyclist to stay at the rear until the group is comfortable that the E-bike can safely be integrated in (already often done for new riders).
2. The ride leader reserves the right to ask the E-cyclist to leave the group if the E-bike is not safely under control (same as for any unsafe cyclist).

Note that both CA Class 1 and Class 3 E-bikes are allowed on rides per our NCCC accident insurance ($10,000 per accident secondary insurance), because their technical specs are within those specified by the US Consumer Products Safety Commission. This was specifically clarified with our insurance carrier.

karlos

If E-bikes for regular road riding are new to you, check out this fun and educational video, courtesy of our friends at GCN (Global Cycling Network). Note that GCN rider Matt "shows off" a bit to purposely inject a little humor into the video, but his friend doesn't mind. We expect humility (humour ok, too 😉) from E-cyclists and that self-powered cyclists will treat the E-cyclists like any other cycling mate.

Also, there are road E-bikes offered right now by Giant, Orbea, Focus and Pinarello. Check out this one by Orbea. You can hardly tell it's an E-bike and the prices range from US $2,074 to $3,660. You can be sure that all manufacturers will be offering a range of E-bikes in the future, so NCCC wants to be pro-active regarding a written policy.

Note that the proposed policy doesn't really require the rider to be old, have physical issues, or be recovering from injury, although those may be reasons for buying an E-bike. Some may just want to do it for fun or an occasional easier ride. As Serge Issakov, Board member of SDBC (San Diego Bike Club - they support and promote racing) said when considering allowing E-bikes on road rides: "My personal opinion has evolved. I think rider skill is far more important than whether all or part of the power utilized is organic. Conceptually, I think eBikes in the pack are a lot like riding on descents. That is, you’re not working for all of your speed. Banning someone on an eBike is basically saying their skills are not sufficient to ride safely at speeds the bike can take them. Is that fair and reasonable? Perhaps they should be allowed to prove themselves? Maybe it’s best to simply reiterate the ride leader’s authority to eject anyone for unsafe handling or behavior. Whether a rider’s speed stems from muscle, gravity or battery is beside the point, isn’t it?"

karlos

Adoption of an e-bike policy is on the agenda for the March 13 Board Meeting. If this is important to you, please reply here or attend the meeting.

Preferably only class 1 Ebikes should be permitted on club rides. Many a time routes were modified just prior to or during the ride to include trails for safety, weather, time constraints etc. All bikes on a ride should be able to ride everywhere a pedal power goes.

Troy Buss

Agree with Paul on the class 1 acceptance.   

One of the spokey dokes MTB riders acquired an e-mtnbike and was able to keep up with the group again after struggling up longer climbs for months.   He really appreciated feeling part of the group again without people waiting on him.    Someday, I may need that assist too.  ;)

karlos

Troy and Paul. I do agree that Class 1 eliminates issues with the routes. However, Class 1,2,3 is very esoteric, only newly introduced in 2016. Did you guys even know the distinction? My fear is that someone lays out a bunch of $$$ for a Class 3 bike not even knowing the difference (shops are not even well versed on this) and then they're not allowed on rides. Perhaps we could still make clear that Class 1 is always OK and that Class 3 may be up to the ride leader as the proposed policy makes that ALWAYS the first hurdle to riding. I think use of E-bikes would be very limited at first and we may not want to put too many restrictions to start with. Policies are always meant to evolve, so we could change things as we see what happens.

karlos

The policy in the 2nd reply above was adopted at the March 13 Board Meeting for a 3-month trial basis. We'll see how it goes. Although not specified at the Board Meeting, I suppose it makes sense that the "trial period" starts the first time someone brings an e-bike out to the ride. It might be wise to talk to the ride leader prior to showing up to make sure they will be OK. So, far, no e-bikes, but at least we have a proposed policy that can evolve if and when they start appearing.

This is great news as I love the idea and fully support the E-bike initiative. As a recovering patient from many accidents, I know as I get older, it will be nice to still ride and have fun like we did when we were kids. My wife and I have ridden several E-bikes and on vacation's she can keep up with me and enjoy the outdoors and amazing sights that you just don't get to see any other way. Thanks Karl and the board for getting this going. So should I bring my doctor's note on the next ride . . . Just kidding . . . Keep the rubber side down and go have fun!

karlos

Adding to this thread, check out the new Feature Article by Pres Norval Lyon - he is electrified! Just visit our Home page or the Articles section at https://northcountycycleclub.com.
Enjoy  :)