News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Google dropped support of its weather gadget

Started by karlos, August 29, 2012, 07:36:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlos

All - our nice little weather gadget on Roadies, MTB Spokey, and Cruisers page is no longer working because Google has dropped its Weather API support. If the geeky part of this is of interest to you, read http://www.kksou.com/php-gtk2/Joomla-News/Google-has-stopped-its-Google-Weather-API.php

Anyway, this was a cool plug-in I purchased for only $10 for the website. I will disable it in the short term. The developer promises a work-around for us and will mail me the patch when he has it.

I thought that was a cool addition - stay tuned for an update or alternative. Meanwhile, you'll have to use your own favorite weather site for a check of weather before the rides.

karlos

Until kksou (the developer who is helping out with a patch) has a fix in place, I put in another weather gadget which is not nearly so flexible. Only shows the current weather and I have to manually configure to a very limited number of weather stations. Can't wait to be able to simply type in a local city and get a 4-day look-ahead as before. But this is what you get for 15 min. of work. Stay tuned...

karlos

Installed one other. It's hard-wired to San Marcos but has a 1-day look-ahead with a little more data for the current weather. This may work out better, but step in and holler if you constantly wish you could type in different locations as before...