News:

This Forum is for the purpose of communication of cycling related issues. It is open to all with very few restrictions on content, but is moderated to some extent. Forum participants are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.

Main Menu

Ride downloads

Started by Dave Messina, December 04, 2011, 02:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
How are routes downloaded onto GPS computers?

karlos

Dave

This all depends on

• Where the original download is
  • What kind of GPS device you have, and what computer and software you have which goes with your device
For example, if the route is stored on RideWithGPS, as many of the NCCC routes are, your life is simplified and all your answers can be found right there. For example, take a look at today's Sunday ride: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/27642 . On the right hand menu, you should see a tab which says "Export."  (If there is no right hand menu, click on the little '<<' icon at upper right of map to make it appear). Now, if you have a Garmin GPS computer, you are further in luck, as  you'll see that you can export the route in either .gpx or .tcx format. The .gpx format is more general and works with lots of different software and GPS devices. The .tcx file is specific to Garmin Training Center, which is software which comes with all Garmin devices and is probably what you would want. You'll notice that complete instructions for what you do next are also down further in that right hand menu provided you have an Edge 800,  500, 705, 605, 305, or 205. There are also many open source software packages which convert .gpx and/or .tcx and/or .kml (google earth) into almost any other GPS format you can think of.

If you have questions about your specific GPS device, reply further and someone in the club probably has the same unit and can help you. I have a 305, but I never put routes on my GPS prior to ride (I would if I had a later Edge model as I find loading "courses" onto the 305 doesn't do much as it really does not have maps). I only use the upload feature after a ride, when I've completed a ride which I'd like to add to our route catalog.

-Karl

How are routes downloaded from the NCCC Ride with GPS site onto Cyclemeter on an iPhone. I followed the instructions, downloaded a TCX file onto my computer, emailed it to my iPhone email account but the attachment was changed to a winmail.dat file, which is useless. A web search suggested a fix for Outlook to avoid having a file sent in that format but that did not work. Anybody using Cyclemeter on their iPhone to import routes from Ride with GPS? Thanks for your help, Mike
Mike H